About the Opportunity
The Applications Developer will be part of the Data Warehousing and Online Services team, which is responsible for applications that are internal to System Office as well as those that are used by all the 17 institutions in the University System. The position works in close coordination with the Business analysts, Project Managers, UX Designer and stakeholders at various parts of the development lifecycle. Some applications require working with large volumes of data, performing ETL operations that entail using complex SQL queries, optimized code, and caching implementation. In addition, this position is responsible for isolating and repairing bugs in existing applications as well as porting key legacy applications like our in-house custom CMS, and other applications to Laravel framework.
The position is a hands-on team member responsible for implementing the code necessary to generate reliable, efficient, and high-quality applications to the customers.
- Work from technical specifications or build specifications where necessary for new applications
- Document programs, flows, ETL jobs when necessary for other peer developers to pick up if you are out
- Help maintain existing code sets by addressing tickets and keeping code libraries up to date
- Develop new application releases based on roadmap and business input
- Develop programs from the ground up when necessary
- Follow best practices in the development life-cycle methodology outlined by the team
- Write high quality, reusable, well-commented code adhering to internal best practices and version control
Technical requirements include:
- Oracle SQL structures
- Data Modeling
- ETL coding
- Git, Laravel, and Linux environments
This position may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement, consistent with System Office policy. UNC System employees are generally required to reside in North Carolina. We are located in the vibrant Warehouse District of Raleigh, NC in the Dillon Building, a state-of-the-art high-rise office space. Covered downtown parking onsite is free to our employees. Employees will also have free access to a gym onsite as well as nearby dining, arts, and shopping amenities.
About the UNC System Office
The UNC System Office includes the offices of the President and other senior administrators of the multi-campus University of North Carolina System. The UNC System is a treasured public institution dedicated to serving the people of North Carolina through world-class teaching, research, and community engagement. Today, nearly 250,000 students are enrolled in our 16 universities across the state and at the NC School of Science and Mathematics. System Office staff is responsible for executing the policies of the UNC Board of Governors and providing University-wide leadership in the areas of academic affairs, business and financial management, long-range planning, student affairs, research, legal affairs, and government relations. The UNC System Office also has administrative oversight of a number of University affiliates, including PBS North Carolina, the North Carolina Arboretum, the NC State Education Assistance Authority, and University of North Carolina Press.
About the Team
The Information Technology division works collaboratively with UNC constituent institutions to help ensure efficient and cost-effective integration of new technologies that meet common and unique needs of the 17 institutions. The Division is also charged with managing the highly complex enterprise-wide data modernization efforts that will enable the System to better monitor, evaluate, and manage our enterprise; as well as facilitate timely comparisons across the 17 institutions and create better data-sharing capabilities for smarter and more efficient data-driven decisions.
The Data Warehousing and Online Services team is a small, dynamic team providing an opportunity for high-impact work.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Skills
Master's and 1-2 years' experience; or Bachelors and 2-4 years' experience; or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.
- Highly competent with complex Oracle SQL structures, ability to do Data Modeling in a relational database snowflake structure
- Ability to write ETL coding to collect, load, and transform data from various data sources into our Oracle Data Warehouse
- Experience with Git, Laravel, Redis, Linux environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical roles
- Self-motivated and passion for learning mindset
- Exceptional time management skills and commitment to quality
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills
- Quick learner, problem solver with an ability to learn and implement high quality code for small to large scale projects
- Experience working with large datasets, Oracle SQL optimization
- Previous work developing with Web Services and/or API's
Please apply online at https://northcarolina.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/253?c=northcarolina
Classification: IT Analyst/Programmer II
Appointment Type: Permanent
Employment Type: EHRA
EHRA Category: Instructional, Research and Information Technology
Recruitment Salary Range: $76,000 - $87,000, commensurate with experience
Location: Raleigh, NC
Position Number: G0020077
Special Instructions to Applicants: The posting remains open until filled, but applications received by January 8, 2023 will be given priority consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Other Information
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To claim veteran's preference, all eligible persons must indicate their eligibility as requested on the application. A DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, may be required later in the selection process.
The UNC System Office (includes PBS NC, NCSEAA, and NC Arboretum) participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.