University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Proposed Start Date
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
ITS Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) manages the ITS data centers and provides around-the-clock support for ITS business computing activities. I&O also supports and maintains the infrastructure for network, data communications transport services, and campus desktop computers, and maintains the infrastructure for the operating systems for non-research ITS servers and for disaster recovery and business continuity activities for ITS. I&O also manages the enterprise-wide IT Service Management platform ServiceNow.
This position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement that may include a partially remote work location, consistent with System Office policy. UNC Chapel Hill employees are generally required to reside within a reasonable commuting distance of their assigned duty station.
As a wireless engineer at UNC Chapel Hill, you are helping to maintain and develop one of the most important services that our Faculty, Students, and Staff utilize daily. UNC’s wireless network continues to grow and currently has 11,000 Aruba access points on central campus and in locations all over the state. This position will work alongside two other wireless network engineers and a wireless architect to tackle the challenges of a demanding prestigious research university. You will be given all the tools you need to do your job at the highest level. Some of the duties that are expected of you are:
* Monitoring and maintaining existing infrastructure
* Researching, evaluating, and deploying new technology
* Working with clients to troubleshoot problems
* Performing predictive design and site surveys on the numerous and constant capital projects (interior and exterior)
* Managing complex projects
* Attending conferences and working with peer groups in Higher Ed
* Working with our Network Engineering team to help support our wired network
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master’s and 1-2 years’ experience; or Bachelors and 2-4 years’ experience; or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
* Valid NC driver’s license or ability to obtain license within 30 days of hire
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
* Significant experience and working knowledge with 802.11 (wireless technologies)
* Experience working with Aruba wireless and associated technologies and management platforms
* Experience and working knowledge with Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme and Arista
* Experience in designing, deploying and maintaining a campus wide Wi-Fi * Experience in Network Management)
* Experience with Wireless Predictive Design and Survey tools including Airmagnet, Ekahau, or iBWave.
* Experience with supporting/engineering/maintaining large networks
* Experience with higher education networks
* Good knowledge of SNMP and Netflow
* Ability to be autonomous and self-directed * Ability to work well in a team environment
* ECSE-Design/CWNP/ACMA/ACMP certifications
Special Physical/Mental Requirements
Must be able to move equipment that may weigh up to 60 lbs. Some locations are difficult to access and may require the use of ladders.
Department Contact Name and Title
Linease Washington, Human Resources Specialist
Department Contact Telephone or Email
Office of Human Resources Contact Information
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to email@example.com
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.