ITS Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) manages the ITS data centers and provides around-the-clock support for ITS business computing activities. I&O also supports and maintains the infrastructure for network, data communications transport services, and campus desktop computers, and maintains the infrastructure for the operating systems for non-research ITS servers and for disaster recovery and business continuity activities for ITS. I&O also manages the enterprise-wide IT Service Management platform ServiceNow.
The Networking group exists as a unit inside of ITS Infrastructure and Operations. It is responsible for the vision, design, support and maintenance of the data communications network for the entire campus. The network supports over 100,000 unique connections a day across 300 buildings, 3000 switches, and nearly 11,000 access points. We seek to provide a high-level service that goes beyond the basic needs and focuses on delivering differentiated solutions to our customers which will allow us to stay ahead of educational, research, and administrative missions of the campus.
The Wireless Architect is responsible for:
- Architecture of one of the largest wireless networks in higher education of approximately 11,000 Aruba access points connecting over 60,000 unique devices a day to the UNC campus wireless network.
- Being the subject matter expert on all issues related to 802.11 wireless.
- Providing operational support in addition to strategic guidance
- Engaging with customers to determine their needs
- Participating in industry and vendor conferences and panels
- Effectively manage vendors, which includes competitive evaluation of products, the recommendation of product selection to management, and coordination of issues between the campus and the vendor.
- Helping to maintain the campus switching / routing environment
- Guiding the expenditure of over $1M annually in wireless life-cycle / maintenance / improvements.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Significant demonstrated experience and working knowledge with 802.11 wireless technologies
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience managing an environment of at least 1,250 Aps
- Experience in wireless site design including requirements gathering, translating business requirements to technical requirements, predictive modeling, and site surveys
- Valid NC driver’s license or ability to obtain license within 30 days of hire
Master’s and 1-2 years’ experience; or Bachelors and 2-4 years’ experience; or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience:
- CWNA certification with extra emphasis on more professional level certifications such as the CWDP, CWAP, and CWNE.
- Dense knowledge of 802.11 wireless standards and associated protocols
- Experience deploying and managing Aruba 8.X environments
- Experience in very large enterprise wireless networks exceeding 5,000 APs
- Knowledge of 802.1X
- Knowledge of RADIUS
- Knowledge of Network Access Control
- Experience and working knowledge with Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme and Arista
- Experience in Network Management and Monitoring software (specific experience with Airwave and VM Ware Edge Intelligence)
- Strong working knowledge of Ekahau
- Experience with supporting / engineering / maintaining large networks
- Experience with higher education networks
- Ability to be autonomous and self-directed
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience in managing small teams, either directly or indirectly
- Experience in managing vendor relationships
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/231666
Office of Human Resources Contact Information: If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to email@example.com
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.