Administrative Program Support 3
The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR) Business Office at the University of Connecticut announces the opening of a full-time Administrative Program Support 3 to support Human Resource (HR) and Payroll functions. The CAHNR Business Office is seeking a dynamic and team-oriented individual with creative energy to contribute to a culture that values community, inclusion, excellence, and strategic growth. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skill and experience in human resources and payroll processes, along with the ability to communicate with a diverse group of people, including administrative professionals, faculty, and many others. The successful candidate will be open-minded, forward thinking, and collaborative in addressing the needs of the CAHNR Business Office.
The Business Office is an exciting, fast-paced, and complex environment with evolving needs. As a support unit, we are a service-minded team that fosters leadership, collaboration, diversity, equality, trust, respect, adaptability, and community. We are dedicated to providing expert financial and administrative services for the College. Our focus is on accuracy, accountability, availability, efficiency, professionalism, and integrity, while adhering to federal, state, and University policies and regulations.
Under the limited supervision of the Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration, the incumbent will assist in managing Human Resource (HR) and Payroll functions in the CAHNR Business Office of the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Represents the Dean’s Business Office to a variety of University officials, outside agencies, and others, with some degree of authority to act on behalf of the Assistant Dean, and communicates with HR, the Provost’s Office, Payroll, and the Office of General Counsel for guidance on various policies and procedures.
- Serves as a key resource for CAHNR administrators, faculty, and staff to ensure compliance with established HR and Payroll policies and procedures.
- Compiles data and prepares HR and Payroll reports to monitor or assess department activities. Use prepared date to generate and prepare narrative for reports, as requested by the Assistant Dean.
- Review and approve all HR transactions including Special Payroll offers requests and Regular Payroll search and offer requests to ensure accuracy and compliance with federal, state, and University policies.
- Reviews and approves all payroll transactions, ensuring accuracy and compliance with federal, state, and University policies; works with appropriate senior leadership, departments, and central University offices to identify discrepancies.
- Assesses internal operating procedures and makes changes as needed to improve efficiency and effectiveness while ensuring federal, state, and University compliance.
- Serves as a liaison for departments within the College and other University Offices on a variety of HR and Payroll matters that are typically cyclical in nature, but can be complex.
- Provides ongoing training to CAHNR administrative staff on HR and Payroll processes; including training to new employees hired within CAHNR.
- Maintains and supervises the maintenance of the internal electronic data management system for CAHNR personnel records.
- Supports departments within CAHNR by preparing and submitting H-1B beneficiary petitions to the Office of General Counsel, assisting in resolving questions and concerns from beneficiaries, departments, and UConn’s Immigration Attorney.
- Stays abreast of changes to University policies and procedures and provides education and outreach in regard to policies.
- Maintains departmental organizational charts.
- Represents the Business Office at regular college administrative meetings.
- May supervise and evaluate the work of other professional employee(s) and/or student labor employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field.
- Three to four years of related work experience in human resources administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll and onboarding processes.
- Demonstrated experience taking initiative and exercising sound judgment when interpreting and applying complex rules and policies.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted office environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting while regularly exercising judgment regarding administrative detail and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to establish good working relationships with coworkers and a variety of constituents, inside and outside the University.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail, with a proven ability to expertly manage time and deadlines with multiple, competing priorities.
- Clear, positive, and professional written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills and experience working well independently and as part of a team.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Administrative experience with interpreting and understanding the collective bargaining environment.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience working with Core CT, PageUp, FileNet (document management), or similar enterprise resource systems.
- Experience working with people from diverse academic, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to display initiative with a strong work ethic and desire to succeed.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, UCPEA staff position with an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience, ranging in the upper $50’s or lower to mid $60’s. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497005. Please be sure to include, a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references (including title, organization/company, phone, and e-mail). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Evaluations of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.