Opinion WriterThe Idaho Statesman
The Idaho Statesman seeks a columnist and editorial writer to oversee a digital-first approach to Opinion reporting and writing. The successful candidate will be a dynamic and creative journalist who can write quickly and accurately, as well as craft a vision for shaping public opinion through the work of the editorial board at Idaho’s largest newspaper.
She or he will:
- Report and write a regular column focused on local and regional issues of significant importance to readers, regularly breaking news and holding officials to account.
- Assist with editing and writing the Idaho Statesman’s editorials.
- Help manage, curate and edit Opinion/Editorial guest columns and letters to the editor
The successful candidate will be a crafty wordsmith with strong opinions, a love for community-based reporting and an eye for unique angles. We’re looking for someone who seeks to write must-read columns and contribute to the overall excellence of the organization. This person will be responsive in ways the Statesman never has before, guiding conversations important to Idahoans that are of the moment instead of focusing on print-centered deadlines.
As we live in an increasingly digital world, the opinion writer will engage in respectful community building online and in-person events, with an end goal of growing support for our work — a critical measure of success for us. The writer will include a wide range of diverse political views in the Statesman’s opinion content to facilitate this community building. This person will grow readership of our editorials by acting on available post-publication data.Skills and experience with video are a plus.
- At least 3-5 years of reporting or editorial experience, preferably on local issues and/or government.
- Strong editing skills and excellent news judgment.
- Analytics experience to increase readership and engagement, and a zeal for using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.