Executive DirectorSawtooth Society
The Sawtooth Society is a non-profit, non-partisan, conservation organization in the heart of Idaho, seeking a full-time, passionate, skilled and experienced Executive Director to advance the organization's critical work. The Society is the only non-profit conservation organization that advocates exclusively for the protection, preservation and enhancement of the 756,000-acre Sawtooth National Recreation Area. In two decades, the Society has influenced public policy decisions, prevented inappropriate development, funded $750,000 for recreation-related projects and created a premier At-risk/Urban Youth Volunteer Corps. Working with the Sawtooth Society Board of Directors and reporting to the Executive Committee, the Executive Director is the "face" of the organization, broadly responsible for managing the planning, organizing, staffing, motivating and directing of the Sawtooth Society.
The Executive Director is specifically responsible for the daily management of the organization, supervising staff, developing an annual strategic plan, directing and managing the complex annual dinner/auction that is the Society's major revenue source, overseeing the $300,000 annual budget, cultivating donors in the support of fundraising and promoting the organization to the broader community. The candidate should have proven leadership and organizational skills and be an excellent communicator.
Salary: Competitive salary with benefits.
- Develops a two-year operating plan that includes financial and operational objectives.
- Implements operating plan that includes fundraising and membership development activities that solicit broad support for the Society's goals.
- Develops a comprehensive communication program to create news releases, newsletter, website and social media to effectively inform donors and the public about the Society and its activities.
- Communicates effectively with the President and Treasurer, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, staff and volunteers, including organization of two board and 10 Executive Committee meetings a year.
- Identifies, cultivates and solicits major and planned gifts, and relationships with foundations, corporations, individuals and community organizations.
- Develops and maintains constructive and productive working relationships with Sawtooth National Recreation Area stakeholders, including Idaho Parks and Recreation Director and Federal and State Grants Manager, government agencies, elected officials, community groups, and other organizations and individuals.
- Supervises, motivates and develops Society paid staff and volunteers.
- Directs Society events, including the organization's annual signature event for 200+ patrons, and manages major/planned gift fundraising activities.
- Monitors and evaluates Society activities on a regular basis to identify and correct problems related to funding, expenditures and visibility.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Proven track record of success in a leadership position working with a Board of Directors, managing successfully to annual objectives/goals, overseeing paid and volunteer staff, having community relations experience among a broad set of constituents, overseeing operations of an organization (including planning, financial and communications) or a program with exposure to foundations that requires maintaining solid relationships with staff, board, donors and community.
- Demonstrable success in resource development, grant writing, fundraising and philanthropy.
- Experience in multi-tasking under pressure.
- A solid knowledge of budgeting, financial management to control expenditures and marketing.
- Extensive experience in leading the process of ongoing strategic planning.
- Extensive experience in public speaking/public relations.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, preferably including experience developing and implementing public-private partnerships to achieve community-wide social and economic goals.