Core Laboratory Coordinator, Biology
Position Summary or Faculty Qualifications
The Laboratory Coordinator is responsible, each semester, for creating and updating all laboratory protocols, managing all student issues (including conduct issues and SIERT if required), coordinating all instructors, graduate students, and undergraduate TA’s, making all course materials available on the Learning Management System (LMS), coordinating all common communications through the LMS, running all prep meetings, and writing updated “prep” sheets. This is done for all sections of the General Biology I and II labs (BS-110 and BS-120) and Microbial Sciences labs (BS-244) while ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations to provide a safe operation. The Laboratory Coordinator is also responsible for managing and working closely with the students preparing materials for the labs to ensure the taking inventory of chemicals, maintaining current materials, developing or revising experiments to prepare students for careers in health sciences or post-graduate education, and coordinating day-to-day operation of the laboratories.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with General Biology I and II and Microbial Science lecture instructors to: prepare laboratory manuals and all printed materials ensure that lab activities complement material presented in lecture, and that they foster the development of critical thinking and scientific communication skills, and develop students’ ability to work in diverse groups and independently, as appropriate develop students’ technical skills and understanding.
- Work with the Stockroom Manager, or other relevant purchasing agent, to procure materials for laboratory activities.
- Set up equipment and materials for all General Biology I and II and Microbial Science laboratories.
- Works closely with laboratory instructors, Graduate Student Instructors, and Teaching Assistants.
- Organization, scheduling, and training of laboratory instructors, Graduate Student Instructors, and Teaching Assistants.
- Provide support to other lab instructors by providing instructor notes, teaching resources and testing information, and by meeting with individual instructors as needed.
- Assist in the recruitment of students to serve as assistants in both the teaching and preparation of laboratory sections. Train, and directly supervise these students in those activities.
- Provide materials for lab practical exams for all instructors.
- Teach up to four sections (12 contact hours) of laboratory each semester.
- Maintain the course learning management system sites for General Biology I and II labs (BS-110 and BS-120) and Microbial Sciences labs (BS-244)
- Assist students from all laboratory sections outside of their normal laboratory times for data collection or other lab activities, as needed.
- Coordinate makeup and review sessions as needed.
- Works to ensure that laboratory equipment is maintained, repaired, and replaced as needed.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Ability to lift up to 30
- Teaching assignment, which is determined in consultation with the department chair, may include one or more evening laboratory sections.
- Some weekend work may be necessary as needed for laboratory set up, etc.
- S. in biology or a closely related field.
- Proficiency with instructional laboratory equipment and software.
- Experience in teaching biology lab courses.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of Saint Joseph’s University.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- D in biology or a closely related field.
- Experience in lab or course coordination.
On-line applications only. Please provide a letter of application/interest and resume. For a complete description of position responsibilities, qualifications, and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.sju.edu/postings/19122
Hiring Range: $50,000 – $53,000
Saint Joseph's University is a private, Catholic, and Jesuit institution and expects members of its community to be knowledgeable about its mission and make positive contributions to that mission. Saint Joseph's is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce.