The Montana State University Alumni Foundation is seeking to hire a Controller! Join our vibrant, growing nonprofit to help advance Montana State University. The MSUAF Controller plays a critical role in the eight-person Finance & Accounting Team. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Finance and Accounting, the Controller is responsible for external financial reporting for six entities and compliance with federal/state financial requirements and regulations. The Controller establishes policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure efficiency, GAAP compliant accounting, and protection of the Alumni Foundation’s assets. This is a great opportunity to gain non-profit and endowment accounting experience while helping MSUAF achieve its mission.
- External financial reporting.
- Federal and state compliance.
- Manage accounting and tax compliance for complex and planned gifts.
- Establish and adhere to accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure efficiency, proper accounting, and protection of Alumni Foundation assets.
- Effectively manage and develop one accounting staff position.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certified Public Accountant
- Professional experience in GAAP financial statement preparation and facilitation of audits.
- In-depth knowledge and experience applying GAAP and the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), preference for non-profit specific experience.
- Experience querying accounting software and financial databases to generate reports and analyses.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey accounting information in a clear and concise manner that can be understood by non-accountants.
- Effective interpersonal skills including ability to work with a diverse group of individuals in a positive team atmosphere and to establish and maintain working relationships.