Office Manager, Student Involvement
Office Manager, Student Involvement
The George Mason University, Student Involvement Department, invites applications for an Office Manager position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
Student Involvement helps students get connected to Mason Nation through campus-wide events, student organizations, trainings, student advocacy and personal interactions, to bring ideas to fruition, create a sense of belonging, and prepare students for success in their future.
About the Position:
The Office Manager position will include hiring, training, supervising and leadership development support for a team of student desk assistants who provide excellent customer service to the Mason community and support the daily operations of the front desk. This position also has the responsibility of regulating office activities and document flow within the unit, managing the clerical processes for the overall unit and the staff (including work orders, inventory, eVA, telecom, office supplies, ITU service requests, etc.), providing effective customer service and communication, and providing administrative support for unit-wide processes and procedures (i.e., registration for Registered Student Organizations, GetConnected, ticket sales, Hub room reservations, supply room ordering, etc.), and serving as the telecom and IT liaison.
- Manages all office operations and procedures in support of a safe and productive work environment. This includes monitoring office activities and equipment, and providing administrative support to co-workers.
- Consults with Executive Director and Associate Directors as needed to plan adequate support of office projects;
- Facilitates office moves, renovations and upgrades, including furnishings;
- Regularly updates office databases, staff contact lists, and office procedures and/or manuals; and
- Orders supplies for the office and co-workers.
Student Supervision and Development
Supervises front desk staff (Team SI), consisting of 7 to 10 Federal Work-Study (FWS) employees during the academic year.
- Directly supervises 7 to 10 FWS student employees on Team SI;
- Interviews, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of Team SI staff; and
- Collaborates with various department staff to provide leadership training and development to Team SI.
Management of Ticket Sales/Money Management
Oversees ticket sales, sold directly out of the SI office, for major events and activities.
- Coordinates with staff when ticket sales for events will be taking place within the office;
- Properly trains Team SI staff in Mason Money and U-store processes and procedures for credit card sales; and
- Creates a spreadsheet to track ticket sales information to provide ticket counts when requested.
Greets and provides information, assistance and referrals to visitors/callers, including students, staff, faculty, family members, and the Mason community. Apprises visitors/callers of appropriate institutional policies, procedures, programs, services and resources. Follows policies and procedures with regard to confidential and/or sensitive information. Maintains an atmosphere where visitors feel welcome.
- Ensures visitors receive accurate information in a courteous and professional manner;
- Manages difficult conversations/situations involving callers or visitors with professionalism and refers to others when assistance is needed; and
- Follows policies and procedures when responding to requests for information and assistance.
Administration and Support
- Provides administrative support to the Assistant Director for Registered Student Organizations.
- Supports the Assistant Director with RSO re-registration and new RSO registration;
- Assist with Mason 360 workflow operations; and
- Keep in direct communication with the University Events team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; and
- Experience with staff supervision, team, and office management.
- Experience working in complex organizational partnerships.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09643Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.