Director for Online Virginia Network
Director for Online Virginia Network
The George Mason University Enrollment Management/Office of the Provost invites applications for a Director for Online Virginia Network. The OVN Director is responsible for leading and managing an innovative, multi-institution initiative that supports online learners earning advanced degrees. The Director is expected to coordinate and manage aspects of the Online Virginia Network, working with key partners that may include staff at legislative offices, education technology companies, regional employers, and participant institutions to promote and ensure operational success. Working in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, this position organizes efforts with dedicated staff across multiple partner schools.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
While this position is housed at George Mason University, the position works in collaboration with relevant Online Virginia Network stakeholders and organizes efforts with dedicated staff across multiple partner schools (George Mason University, James Madison University, Old Dominion University, and the Virginia Community College System).
Reporting to the Vice President for Enrollment Management at George Mason University, and in partnership with stakeholders represented by the Online Virginia Network Authority, the OVN Director will:
- Manage the coordination and operations of OVN including cross-institutional planning, organizing, leading program activities;
- In concert with OVN leadership, develop and implement short-term/long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program;
- Work cooperatively across multiple partner institutions with varying executives, faculty and staff at all levels;
- Negotiate and publish policies and practices agreed upon by the OVN administrative team and leadership group;
- Be responsible for budget development;
- Work closely with the Chair of the OVN Authority and the Administrative Team in the planning and execution of board meetings;
- Provide strong leadership and communication skills for team management across multiple institutions and reporting lines;
- Be responsible for the development, supervision and management of positions that support the initiatives and responsibilities of OVN as the program grows;
- Provide oversight and build a coaching practice to manage consortium enrollment efforts;
- Maintain consistent and accurate status information, a focus on data equity, clear documentation and an audit trail for the program, project and initiative; and
- Follow the standard communication protocol for keeping key leadership and stakeholders informed of OVN activities.
- Master’s degree required OR equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Considerable (generally three (3)+ years) experience in either project, program, account or product management experience in a higher education and/or business environment – preference for experience within a statewide collaboration or consortium model;
- Significant (generally five (5)+ years) experience in education – secondary or post-secondary;
- Proven experience with initiating, planning and directing implementation of complex projects/programs;
- Proficient skills in budget development and management, organizing resources and establishing priorities;
- Proven ability to collaborate with a diverse population of faculty, staff and key stakeholders;
- Must be able to work well in teams and effectively communicate at all levels;
- Passion to innovate, competent in analysis, reasoning, and problem solving;
- Able to assess, identify and measure key performance indicators and other success metrics;
- Highly motivated,
- Demonstrated presentation skills; and
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Background in the areas of staff development, student/customer relations, and change management;
- Familiarity with shared data systems and basic data integration concepts; and
- Experience managing change in complex higher education environment with a detail orientation for both policy and operational management.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA57Jz at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.