ADVANCE Academic Coach I
The George Mason University ADVANCE department, Academic Affairs, invites applications for the position of Academic Coach. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
The ADVANCE department leads the coordination and operations of the ADVANCE program. This work includes cross-institutional strategic planning, negotiating policies and practices, responsibility of budget development and planning, overseeing program marketing, recruitment, student services, and assessment.
This position will focus primarily on the execution of student support for the ADVANCE program.
- Provides holistic support for the assigned caseload of students in the eight focus areas of development (academics and major fit, school community, managing commitments, effectiveness, commitment to graduation, career exploration, finances, and health and support);
- Provides academic advising for ADVANCE students while at NOVA using NOVA resources and ADVANCE academic pathway plan;
- Coaches assist with students’ career exploration and major fit processes to achieve academic and career goals, as well as identify barriers to success and help students implement strategies to overcome them;
- Monitors student progress and performance, analyzes problem areas, determines solutions, and conducts intervention activities and processes for students;
- Coaches meet with and provide success strategies to students; manage outreach and support efforts to students with a variety of academic and personal development skills necessary to achieve student success;
- Coaches assist and support all retention related efforts within the school/college to support success and retention efforts while implementing interventions to improve student retention;
- Coaches collaborate with academic advisors and other stakeholders to support student success;
- Provides appropriate, accurate, and timely referrals for students;
- Academic Coaches are required to participate in university wide foundational coaching training and ongoing professional development;
- Academic Coaches are required to utilize the chosen university platform for tracking and reporting student interactions and making referrals; and
- Performs various other duties as deemed appropriate by the employee’s supervisor or his/her superiors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as strong student service orientation;
- Ability to work independently, as well as function as part of a team; and
- Ability to analyze problem situations, identify feasible solutions, and present recommendations in a concise, logical, and systematic manner.
- Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling or other related field;
- Experience with or demonstrated knowledge of academic advising, orientation, disability services, veterans services, career services, student involvement, and student rights and responsibilities;
- Experience with educational database management systems and customer relationship management systems; and
- Experience serving and supporting diverse student populations, particularly community college and/or transfer students.
Note: This position will be working at both Mason Fairfax Campus and NOVA Loudon campus.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02757z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/ by November 25, 2022; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.