Assistant Corporate ControllerCowles Company
About the Company
Come join one of the largest private companies in the Inland Northwest! The parent company of The Spokesman-Review, KHQ, Inc., Inland Empire Paper Company and River Park Square Mall is looking to add talent to its expanding CFO / Treasury department. Cowles Company, and its subsidiaries (www.cowlescompany.com), is a family owned portfolio of operating entities in multiple industries including; legacy print and broadcast media, newsprint manufacturing, real estate, insurance agencies and an expanding corporate venture capital division. What began over 100 years ago as a regional newspaper has grown into a thriving and expanding privately-owned group under leadership of the fourth generation of the Cowles family. The diversity in industries, expanding real estate portfolio and focus on investing in high-growth opportunities through corporate venture capital has poised Cowles Company for a bright future into the fifth generation and beyond.
We are seeking an Assistant Corporate Controller to work alongside the Corporate Controller and Director of Tax and Accounting.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Corporate Controller:
- Coordinate all general ledger activity for the parent company
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statement reporting of the parent company
- Monitor corporate cash flow and work with Director of Tax and Accounting on cash flow management
- Coordinate reporting of intercompany charges to the subsidiaries and application of payments
- Manage the fixed assets database for the parent company and work with subsidiaries to ensure proper accounting and tax treatment for fixed assets
- Assist the Corporate Controller in preparation for and coordination of the Company’s annual external audits
- Assist in preparation of the parent company annual budget including overhead allocations
- Research the release of new accounting pronouncements affecting any of the consolidating entities
- Participate with the Corporate Controller and Director of Tax and Accounting in tax reporting and compliance including; corporate income taxes, pass through entity reporting, charitable foundation excise taxes and state and local taxes.
- Assist the CFO / Treasurer’s office team with a wide array of recurring projects including operational financial analysis, capital investment decisions, acquisition reviews and benefit plan administration.
We are looking for a highly-organized and detail-oriented Assistant Corporate Controller with 2-4 years of public accounting experience and a current active state CPA license. You must have sound judgment and strong reasoning skills, as well as good analytic and problem-solving abilities. You should be able to work independently and proactively while maintaining open lines of communication. It is also important that you display excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 2 years of public accounting experience
- A current active CPA license in any state
- Solid understanding of accounting processes and procedures and US GAAP
- Proven ability to meet daily and monthly deliverables
- Proficiency with accounting software systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, with advanced working knowledge of Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently independently as well as part of a team
Compensation for position, $75,000-$85,000, depending on experience. We also offer a full suite of benefits (medical, dental, life insurance, etc.), paid vacation, sick time, and a matching 401(k) program.