Administrative Assistant ICity of Meridian
Job Title: Administrative Assistant I Date: 4/6/2018
Department: Community Development Date Last Revised:
Reports To: Building Official Classification: E
Primarily responsible for providing a wide array of administrative functions for the Building Services, Plan Review and Building Inspection Section, and as well as routine clerical work. Provides back-up and cross trains for other Administrative Assistant positions within the department. Must have background and knowledge in the Construction Industry. Assists one or more individuals with various departmental functions, including special projects. Additional duties include acting as a contact point for employees, citizens and others. Processes purchase orders, maintains department file systems, and performs research, correspondence, public relations and other duties, as assigned. This class of employee is afforded discretion and works under general supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Answer multi-line telephone and routes calls appropriately using excellent communication and telephone skills;
- Maintains, sorts, organizes, and files department information;
- Assists Building Official with project valuations, legal correspondence and other duties as assigned.
- May assist with electronic software and electronic documents of the Building submittals.
- May assist Permit Technicians from time to time during times of coverage need.
- Compose letters, correspondence, and memos requiring independent judgment as to content;
- Researches and compiles data from a variety of sources and prepares reports;
- Schedule and coordinate arrangements for meetings and conferences;
- Responds to inquiries and researches issues;
- Prepares meeting agendas and takes , prepares, and distributes meeting minutes;
- Handles sensitive and delicate public relations situations with a high degree of confidentiality and in a courteous, professional, and timely manner;
- Research and respond to citizen concerns and questions;
- Utilizes Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and various other software;
- Prioritizes and organizes own work, to meet deadlines.
- Works independently and under the direction of immediate supervisor;
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed;
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Idaho Driver’s License and safe driving record;
- High school diploma or GED is required plus 2 years of office/clerical support experience, or any combination of experience and/or training which provides the knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the work required;
- Must have strong customer service skills, be able to manage multiple tasks and projects, plus have a strong attention to detail.
- Must have excellent communication and telephone etiquette skills. Ability to perform data entry and word processing at a proficient level using Microsoft Office software;
- Must have strong professional writing skills for writing reports, minutes, and other communication;
- Ability to operate office equipment, i.e., computer, calculator, copier, fax machine and postage machine;
- Knowledge of mathematics, sufficient to add, subtract, multiply and divide manually or by machine;
- Ability to communicate and deal with the public, citizens and co-workers in a professional, empathetic and positive manner;
- Must have exceptional organizational skills and the ability to effectively establish priorities and complete multiple, competing and time-dependent projects with superior attention to detail;
- Ability to regularly plan, set up, and attend meetings, functions, and events, sometimes after hours;
- Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions in a team environment as a team player;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Department personnel, city officials and the general public;
- Ability to communicate, meet and deal with the public and co-workers with respect in a pleasant, professional, and courteous manner;
- Integrity in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Must have a positive “can do” attitude;
- Must be able to provide exceptional customer service and outstanding professionalism;
- Must be willing to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment and display an attitude of cooperation with the ability to work professionally and effectively with others;
- Must be tactful, discrete, and diplomatic as well as be assertive, resilient, have problem solving ability, and receive direction;
- Must have demonstrated excellent oral and written skills to communicate effectively with customers, vendors, and the public in face-to-face meetings, one-on-one settings, in groups and in using a telephone;
- Ability to produce documents with clearly-organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, English usage, vocabulary, punctuation, spelling and grammar; and
- Must be willing to attend classes in related fields to upgrade skills and knowledge.
- Assists one or more individuals with various departmental functions, including special projects.
Other Job Specifications:
- Some college education and/or administrative training is desired;
- Permit Technician certification through the International Code Council is required within the first 24 months of employment.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work is usually performed in an office environment with moderate noise level;
- Constantly requires sitting at a desk or computer terminal for long periods of time and ability to lift up to 15 lbs;
- Constantly requires clarity of speech and hearing, which permits the employee to communicate
- effectively with the public and other department members;
- Constantly requires clear vision to read printed materials and computer screen to accomplish work;
- Constantly requires repetitive movement of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers;
- Constantly requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a general office environment to accomplish tasks.
- Occasionally may require assisting with and attending Department sponsored special events or activities, sometimes after hours.
- Local travel is occasionally required;